We got the LSD in the new transmission. We got the transmission back in. Tedd did the timing belt. I got some missing bolts from the picknpull. All of that was squeezed in between a boy scout backpacking trip which nearly killed me, the marin county fair, and a trip to central California.
We had hoped to mix and match gears. I had come up with a scheme using gears from both transmissions to make a great racing close ratio box with a final top speed of only about 120, and with 3rd, 4th, and 5th super close and all usable. Our last tranny was practically 3rd gear all the time, especially at thunderhill. BUT once we got in there the gears had non-symetrical spacers as part of the gears, so there is no way that you could but a tall 3rd in place of a 4th, and a tall 4th in place of a fifth without tons of custom machining and fab work. Really too bad. Oh well. Our new trans does have closer gears and lower final drive.
When we opened up the old transmission we found what went wrong. One of the bearings on the end of the countershaft was so completely destroyed that it looked like a bowl of polished pebbles.
We have an all hands work day this Saturday so we can get it all together and ready for a test drive. God I hope it runs and runs well.