Got Lots Done

With the trans arriving next week, and the timing belt arriving next week, and the LSD arriving via US Mail from Russia who knows when, and a host of other less glamorous parts arriving next week, it made sense to do what could be done.  The new clutch and flywheel arrived this week.  So I first had to get the exhaust off.  After soaking in the penetrating oil for a week the joint came apart quite easily.  Though instead of the bolts coming off the studs came unscrewed.  Then I took the flywheel off.  The only trick to that was figuring out how to hold it still while loosening the bolts.  Eventually I figured out I could put a socket on the crankshaft bolt on the other side of the engine and let the handle brace against the frame.  After that it was easy.  The old flywheel weighs twice what the new one does.  After that I drained the oil and got the oil pan off then spent an hour getting the gasket off the pan and scrubbingthe cooked on oil/dirt off the pan.  Then we visited the hardware store for some locktite.  When we got back Tedd was there.  With his help we got the new flywheel in and the clutch assembled.

20160604_144131

Transaxels

I found a resource online that showed all of the honda transmissions that would fit our car.  But since it is a one unit transmission/differential it is technically a transaxel.  Every tranny from a F22 motor or H22 or H23 motor is supposed to fit.  There are half a dozen that had factory limited slip differentials.  All of those had lower final drives and closer ratios.  On ebay I found one LSD tranny for sale for almost a grand.  I didn’t want to jump right in though the team mates were willing to pay.  I did more research. I’d learned that the LSD in the one I was looking at was a helical gear transmission and those don’t work if one wheel is off the ground.  Since inside front wheel spin exiting corners is why we want an LSD that wasn’t going to work.  I’ve also read the helical LSDs are prone to overheating under continuous hard use.  Also a problem.  So I dug deeper and as far as I can tell all the other factory LSDs were the viscous fluid type.  These use a silicone based liquid to provide the friction to limit the slip.  The fluid breaks down and the limit to the slip decreases and after about 60k miles of normal use it is a normal open diff.  Also not good since any JDM (Japanese domestic market) transmission we might get would have 50-60k miles.

Bummer.

So the I set my sights on transaxels with normal diffs and tight ratios.  There were several to choose from, but most seemed to be for the Euro and Australian markets.  JDM engines and transmissions are easy to get since Japanese laws encourage people to sell slightly old cars.  EurDM and ADM parts stay in Europe and Australia.  So out of the list of 6 or 7 we found one that was generally available for sale.  I sent a link to Derek and he bought it.  Delivery is expected this week.

Then I went off the deep end.  During my hours of research I came across a guy in Russia selling a mechanical clutch type LSD for our transaxel.  It had new clutch disks and looks in great shape.  I ended up buying it.  I was a little nervous, because well… Russia.  But it’s on its way.  So when we get it we’re going to open up both transmissions and if we can do some mix and match gears to get even closer ratios and to install the LSD.

Tedd bought a clutch with a 11 pound flywheel!   That’ll go in.  I got a timing belt and water pump kit.  We have to do that to0.  Lots to do.